Monday, January 05, 2009

Happy New Year!

A lot of stuff!
What a crazy time of year it has been! I hope all of you enjoyed the holidays and did not go too crazy with the kids home an extra week. I love January because it’s the time of year we can all start fresh! I get that same feeling in September too! I know….its a teacher thing. Here is a ton for you to read. I hope you don’t fall asleep while doing it.

Homework is starting up again! Please make sure students have their planners and folders when they come home, and they need to bring them back everyday.

Homework for January 5th, 2009
Read 20 minutes
Math sheet
Language arts

Something New:

I am going to try something new for the rest of the year. I have fake Ms. Hughes (my maiden name) money. Students will be able to earn this money by turning in homework, behavior in class and class jobs.
I want this to be a real world learning experience for them. They will need to pay rent for the space they live (their desks) and will be fined for inappropriate behavior. I am going to set up a banking system so they can learn to plan ahead and save money. This will be a topic of many discussions. I am sure regulations will be added to this. I did this with my first class at Lake Labish and it really got them thinking about how money works, what their parents have to deal with each month and so on. It was a great thing! I am hoping that kids will understand if they don’t perform and do their jobs then they will not get paid. At the end of each month I will have a store for the kids. This is where your help is needed. If you have any old toys, or games or books…..and you want to get rid of them, send them my way. I can sell those things at the store. If you would like to buy snacks or anything for me to sell that would be great as well. Here are some suggestions for snacks if you need them: Capri suns, individual bags of chips, candy, or anything you think is good. If you want you can check with me if you have a question. School supplies would also be good. I am going to go to the dollar tree and see what they have. Student will be able to but 2 things each. I know I ask a lot from you guys, but with out you I could not do it! I really appreciate all of your help and the willingness you all have! I think this will be really fun for the kids.

Homework is one way they can earn money. For everyday they bring their homework back they will earn $5.00. They can earn $25.00 a week on homework.


Fun January Events to do with the kids!

HOME DEPOT KIDS WORKSHOP
Sat. January 3rd 9-12 Free "Helmet Bookends"
Ages 5-12 503-587-7130

LOWES BUILD AND GROW
Sat. January 10th 10-11am "Build Your own Time Capsule" Free Register @Lowes.com

ALS GARDEN KIDS CLUB
Sat. January 3rd 11:00am Kids will plant a cactus and talk about they survive in dry conditions. Woodburn $5 (503)981-1245

MICHAELS KIDS CLUB
Sat. January 3rd 10-12am Create your own "CD Rack" $3

Sat. January 31st Free Family Event...'Valentine Card Making' 10-1


LANCASTER MALL KIDS CLUB
Thursday, January 8th 6-7pm Colored Sand Picture Frames

Saturday January 24th "Radio Disney" 1-3pm Live entertainment, games, prizes (Outside Sports Authority)

NORTHERN LIGHTS THEATRE
Sat.January 10th Double Play Saturday Doors open 11:45
Play: Mime Loud and Clear Movie: High School Musical 3
$10 per person includes....play, movie, pizza, drink and candy!

MISSION MILL
Sat. January 10th Family Fun Saturday..'Make your own Journal' modeled after one from the 1840's 11-1 free

YMCA FAMILY NIGHT
Tuesday Jan. 13th 5:30-7:30 Pirates!! Bring your Mateys!!
Dinner, Crafts, Door prizes....$3 Adult $2 Child Call 399-2796


GILBERT HOUSE
Monday January 19th 11-2
Visit six countries in one day..Multi-cultural Celebration! Games, crafts, hands on activities!

SALEM LIBRARY
Friday, Jan. 23rd No School! Come watch Wall-e at Loucks Lecture Hall 2pm

Friday January 30th THE GREAT LIBRARY CAMP IN !!! (Bring your sleeping bags, pillows and footy pajamas =)

"Let Your Imagination Soar" is this years theme! There will be an evening full of crafts, activities, and a bedtime story by a professional storyteller! Just PLEDGE to turn your TV OFF from Jan 25th-31st!! YES...YOU CAN ALL DO THIS!! Be a role model for your children=) Turn in pledge forms by Jan 25th or call the Library at 588-6088

HAPPY 2009 ALL!!!

No comments: