Wednesday, September 09, 2009

A New Year

We are off to a great start! I have really enjoyed spending the day with the students. This should be a great week!


Homework:
Read 30 minutes.
Parent volunteer form
Parent contact information
I would really like these two forms to be filled out and brought back tomorrow

Mistake with planners:

The student planners the 4th and 5th graders are to have are actually $5.00. When they were ordered the price went up from last year. I was unaware of this until this morning. If you have already paid the $3.00 please send $2.00 when you can. Otherwise please send $5.00 with your student sometime this week for a student planner.

I would like each student to have a Student Planner By Friday the 11th.

Students will be bringing home a classroom informational packet today. Some parents took them home yesterday at Open House. Here is a copy of it:

September 2, 2009

Dear Parents and Guardians,

I wanted to take a few minutes to introduce myself, and tell you a few things to get us started this week.

A Little about Myself:
My name is Karrie Brown. I grew up in Salem, Oregon and attended Western Baptist College (now Corban College) for my Bachelors, and Masters Degree. This is my eleventh year teaching. My husband and I live in Silverton with our 21 month old daughter Abigail, and our 3 year old Black Lab Bailey. If you ever have any questions or concerns please call me at 503-399-5548 or you can email me, brown_karrie@salkeiz.k12.or.us.

During open house I will be collecting as many email address I can to keep an open line of communication open. It is usually best to contact me through email. Sometimes it is hard to reach me by phone because of meetings and such. I do return phone calls as soon as possible, but email is a lot faster. I also send out a lot of classroom information through my classroom blog http://forestridgefalconsc3.blogspot.com/. Homework assignments will also be posted each day on the blog. It is so important for me to get information to you, so please check your email and our blog.


Lunch and Snack:
Since our lunch does not start until 12:10, I am allowing students to bring a simple healthy snack to munch on during class. Please keep these snacks easy, not too messy, and of course healthy. No cookies or candy.

Students are also welcome to bring water bottles to class. Only water is allowed in the bottle, no juice or pop.

Supplies:
2 glue sticks
Pencil sharpener
4 spiral notebooks of different colors or pictures
Protractor
Crayons
1 package of notebook paper (they can either give it to me to share, or keep in their desk)
Please do not have your child bring a binder. They will not need them in my class.
These supplies are in addition to the schools.

Student Planners: All of the 4th and 5th grade students will be using student planners this year. These planners will cost $3.00. This is a great way to keep track of your student’s homework assignments, and communicate with the teacher. It also prepares them for Middle School.

Classroom Rules:
Always tell the truth no matter what.
Obey all teachers
Include everyone
Raise your hand
Use your common sense.

At Forest Ridge we want our students to feel safe in the classroom. In order to do these rules need to be followed. We want the students at our school to Be Safe, Be Responsible, and Be Respectful,

Consequences:
First warning is name on the board
One check by name misses part of recess
Two checks notice of concern or a call home
Three checks all of the above
*Any inappropriate behavior that is a constant everyday thing may require a meeting with the parents.

Classroom Management

I have fake Ms. Hughes (my maiden name) money. Students will be able to earn this money by turning in homework, good behavior in class and class jobs.I want this to be a real world learning experience for them. They will need to pay rent for the space they live (their desks) and will be fined for inappropriate behavior. I am going to set up a banking system so they can learn to plan ahead and save money. This will be a topic of many discussions. I am sure regulations will be added to this. I did this with my first class at Lake Labish and it really got them thinking about how money works, what their parents have to deal with each month and so on. It was a great thing! I am hoping that kids will understand if they don’t perform and do their jobs then they will not get paid. At the end of each month I will have a store for the kids. This is where your help is needed. If you have any old toys, or games or books…..and you want to get rid of them, send them my way. I can sell those things at the store. If you would like to buy snacks or anything for me to sell that would be great as well. Here are some suggestions for snacks if you need them: Capri suns, individual bags of chips, candy, or anything you think is good. If you want you can check with me if you have a question. School supplies would also be good. I am going to go to the dollar tree and see what they have. Student will be able to but 2 things each. I know I ask a lot from you guys, but with out you I could not do it! I really appreciate all of your help and the willingness you all have! I think this will be really fun for the kids.Homework is one way they can earn money. For everyday they bring their homework back they will earn $5.00. They can earn $25.00 a week on homework


Electronics/phones and Toys:
I do not allow electronics, phones or toys in the classroom. If there is a need for a cell phone then the phone needs to be turned completely off and given to me at the beginning of class. When school is out I will give it back, and the students can not turn them on and talk to people until they are out of the building. Last year I had a few kids bring electronics and phones and they either lost them or they were stolen. If electronics are brought then they will need to be given to me as well, and I will pass them out at the end of the day. It is best to leave those things at home. However, I do understand if a phone is needed.

Book Orders:
Once a month I try and send out Scholastic Book Club order forms. This is a great way to get great titles for your child at a very reasonable price. I have even started ordering for my little one! The date for when the order forms are due will be on the back, and if you send a check make it payable to Scholastic Books. With each order I receive points. With those points I can buy free books for our classroom. Not only are you buying great books for your kids, you are also helping to build a better classroom library for them.

Thursdays:
I will try and send corrected papers home every Thursday along with Thursday Thoughts. Just know that Thursdays would be a great day to go through your child’s backpackJ.

Birthdays:
Birthdays can be celebrated in the class. I prefer the last 15-20 minutes of the day. Please let me know 2-3 days in advance before the party.

Here is a look at the curriculum we are using at Forest Ridge

LITERACY

The comprehensive literacy model used in the classroom to teach reading includes the following components: purposeful instruction, modeled reading, shared reading, guided reading, and independent reading, and word study. The students will be using a wide variety of fiction and non-fiction texts throughout the year. There will be an emphasis on helping children find “Just Right” texts to be successful readers who increase their reading skills all year long.

P.E.

Your child will be attending P.E. class 3 days each week: TUESDAY, WEDNESDAY, and THURSDAY. Students need to wear shoes and clothing appropriate for P.E. participation.




MATH

The core math program for Forest Ridge is Investigations. This program uses a lot of hands on activities, and working with others. Students seem to enjoy working with manipulative.
Math facts work (primarily through math games) and math problem-solving will occur on a regular basis.

A supplemental program is our “Every Day Counts” calendar math. Many concepts are introduced and reinforced at this time. These activities are done each morning, so it is important that your student arrive at school on time so they do not miss this part of math.


SPELLING

The Rebecca Sitton Spelling and Word Skills program will be used. Instead of a “spelling list” going home each Monday with a test to follow on Friday, in class there will be daily work and instruction which is research-based to ensure that students learn to spell for writing. That is, to spell words forever, not just for a test. Assessment will occur in class, and students will bring home words they have not yet mastered. These words can be worked on at home and will continue to be used in the lessons at school.

WRITING

The students will be provided instruction in many modes of writing, including narrative, imaginative, expository, and persuasive. We will focus on the structure of sentences, paragraphs, and multi-paragraph papers. Purposeful instruction will include modeled writing, shared writing, guided writing, and independent writing. The kids will use journals, writers notebooks, and word processing.



Thank you for your time,



Karrie Brown



No comments: